|Line 1:||Line 1:|
== Brunch ==
== Brunch ==
|Line 260:||Line 258:|
== [http://www.swisswiki.ch/index.php/Expats-in-Zurich-FAQ Return to the Expats-in-Zurich FAQ] ==
== [http://www.swisswiki.ch/index.php/Expats-in-Zurich-FAQ Return to the Expats-in-Zurich FAQ] ==
Revision as of 18:37, 21 February 2008
- 8032 Zürich - Bohemia , am Kreuzplatz, 8032 Zürich, 01 383 70 60, http://www.bohemia.ch
Has good food normally but also great Sunday brunch including English breakfast or American style pancakes. This is on Kreuzplatz (Tram 11).
- 8001 Zürich - Movie restaurant , by ABC Cinema
Reasonable grub at all-in price. Busy in summer too, when you can have your brunch at the outside tables.
- 8037 Zürich - Crêperie Grüntal , Breitensteinstrasse 21, 8037 Zürich, 043 366 85 02
Has great crêpes. I had the one with salami, leek (lauch), olives, chilli and Mark had the smoked trout with Crème Fraîche. Sweet crêpes are also available. It is also open later in the evening. Located in Wipkingen, near Escher-Wyss Platz.
- 8005 Zürich - Restaurant Beyond, Zollstrasse 20, 8005 Zürich, 01 366 83 45
This is restaurant offers Shanghainese/Chinese style cuisine, and is also where the staff from the Chinese Embassy go to eat. There are two menus available - one is a “westernized" menu where they also offer Thai dishes, the other menu offers food that is quite different. This is just across the road from the Hauptbahnhof, on the Landesmuseum side.
- 8002 Zürich - Entehuus, Alfred Escher Strasse 11, 8002 Zürich, 01 201 44 90
Peking duck and some other Chinese dishes. Went there for Peking Duck and was surprised at how inexpensive it was.
- 8001 Zürich - Romantikhotel Florhof , Florhofgasse 4, 8001 Zürich, 044 250 26 26, http://www.florhof.ch/
This is our favorite restaurant. It’s French and the food is always good. The chef lives in Colmar and goes home on the weekends. Sometimes the restaurant is open on weekends but you should call in and check first. I really recommend this place for a great cozy meal. You don’t really need to dress up but you can. We usually go to the restaurant in jeans. If you have a birthday, just let them know and the chef will make a cake. We have never been disappointed.
- 8001 Zürich - Lumiere, Widdergasse 5, 8001 Zürich, 044 211 56 65, http://www.restaurant-lumiere.ch/
French bistro-style food served by friendly staff. The food is well-prepared and reasonably priced, and the restaurant is very dog-friendly!
- 8003 Zürich - Marathon , Zurlindenstrasse 21, 8003 Zürich, 044 463 59 24
A brief but good Ethiopian, and Italian menu. I recommend the vegetarian sampler for three people plus a portion of the key tibs (beef) as a good mix for four people. The service is friendly but a bit slow, and inexpensive for Zurich. We will definitely go again. Note that the restaurant has moved to nearby Weststrasse 192 [September 2006]. Closest tram stop is Schmiede Wiedikon on the 9 or the 14.
- 8004 Zürich - King's Kurry, Freyastrasse 3, 8004 Zürich, 043 268 48 28, http://www.kingskurry.ch
Probably the Indian restaurant with the best reputation in Zürich. The service can sometimes be a bit slow but the food is good. It is located near Bahnhof Wiedikon. Our experience at King's Kurry was not favorable. We were underwhelmed by the food, which tasted as though it had been made the day before and had been warmed up for us. We will not be going back. [zc]
- Err, Indian food is normally cooked that way - the overnight marinade draws the flavours together and improves all curries. If you didn't like the food could you be more specific about exactly why?Reviewed in the NZZ 2003-7
- 8004 Zürich - Masala, Stauffacherstrasse 27, 8004 Zürich, 044 240 03 61, http://www.masala.ch
Similar to UK Indian restaurants. We like it.
- 8048 Zürich - Spice Route, Badenerstrasse 505, 8048 Zürich, 044 491 65 00, http://www.spiceroute.ch
Very good place, as loved by many. Opposite Letzigrund Stadium.
- 8037 Zürich - Ravi's, Rütschistrasse 29, 8037 Zürich, 044 361 66 56, http://www.ravis.ch
This is in Wipkingen and they have different things. Also good but perhaps not as good as the top restaurants - but different cook, different tastes.
- 5424 near Baden, about 30 km from 8001 Zürich - Curry Beiz, 5424 Unterehrendingen, 056 222 56 61, http://www.curry.ch
Wonderful all-you-can-eat buffet, including vegetarian selections. The website lists their à la carte menu. Reservations recommended. [zc]
- Update Nov 2006. I regret to report that the quality of our last meal there was quite unacceptable. There was a party going on in the main part of the restaurant, and we opted to order à la carte instead of the buffet. I don't know if that was the problem or what, all I know is that we were served uninspiring, mediocre dishes. Sad...
- 8002 Zürich - The Spice Gourmet, Seestrasse 43, 8002 Zürich, 044 2011 05 66, http://www.thespicegourmet.com
Located about 50 meters from Bhanhofstr. Enge. This is a tiny place, so book ahead. Food is nicely spiced and flavorful, but the portions are very small. They offer homemade lemonade which is good but pricey (CHF 6). The naan was excellent but dessert was a complete disappointment. [at]
- 8700 Küsnacht - Malabar Garden, Hörnlistrasse 16, 8700 Küsnacht, http://www.malabargarden.ch/
Reviewed in the NZZ, 30 March 2006
- 8057 Zürich - Restaurant Kerala, Hofwiesenstrasse 188, 8057 Zürich, 01 364 45 77, http://www.keralarestaurant.ch
Very good South Indian food. I can recommend their buffet on Wednesdays and Sundays. A good place to try South Indian food.
- 8050 Zürich-Oerlikon - Handi, Schwamendingenstrasse 16, 8050 Zürich-Oerlikon, 01 311 80 38, http://www.handi-restaurant.ch
Just recently tried Handi in Oerlikon and quite liked it. Service was a little slow, but hey, one has to relax with Indian food.
- 8001 Zürich - Il Golosone, Uraniastrasse 20, 8001 Zürich, +41 44 212 4008
For the best pizza in town, Il Golosone on Uraniastrasse. No bookings possible at lunchtime so get there early....reservations possible for evening session.
Behind Jelmoli carpark has very good pizzas. Very fresh ingredients. Always crowded on the weekends so either book or go early. Currently, our favourite pizza place but place is tied with Don Leone (see below). [ns]
- 8004 Zürich - Pizzeria Don Leone, Bäkerstrasse 31, 8004 Zürich, 044 241 01 01, http://donleone.ch
Friends have checked out this place and it passed their inspection too. Service can sometimes be slow though. Sort of place you go to take your time. So I wouldn’t recommend going there before a movie even though it’s around the corner from Stauffacher’s Metropole cinema. Owner also owns Franco's Pizza in Oerlikon. I know some Italian friends who work nearby and go there for lunch everyday. [ns]
- 8055 Zürich - Grottino 77, Aemtlerstrasse 11, 8003 Zürich, +41 44462 19 12, http://www.grottino77.ch
- 8037 Zürich - Bindella, Hönggerstrasse 115, 8037 Zürich, 044 276 60 60, http://www.bindella.ch
Another really good Italian place. Currently they have really good Piemontese truffles. [ns]
- 8001 Zurich - Contrapunto, Waaggasse 5/7 off of Paradeplatz, 8001 Zurich, 044 211 65 25
Good Italian place that actually makes their pasta al dente. I like the carpaccio and the spaghetti with clams. Not too smoky, always a plus. [ac]
- 8008 Zürich - Ginger , Seefeldstrasse 62, 8008 Zürich, 044 422 95 09
I don't know much about Japanese food but Ginger on Seefeldstrasse is nice (across the road from Tiffins) but expensive. The chef prepares all dishes in the center (sushi/sashimis) and places it on a conveyor belt. The restaurant is very small and you can chat with chef and watch the preparation. It’s a bit pricey but the quality is good. I don’t like fish, but I always find something to eat because they also do stuff with beef and eggs and vegetarian. [ns]
- 8001 Zürich - Isakaya, Waisenhausstrasse 5, 8001 Zürich, 043 344 89 29 http://www.isakaya.ch/index1.html
Pretty good sushi for Zurich; they sometimes even have toro (fatty tuna). Convenient to the main station, and actually appears to be run by Japanese people. Closed on Sundays. [ac]
- 8004 Zürich - Restaurant Bar ISHI, Badenerstrasse 97, 8004 Zürich, 043 243 30 00 http://www.ishi.ch/
- 8004 Zürich - Restaurant Cèdre, Badenerstrasse 78, 8004 Zürich, 044 241 42 72, http://www.libanesisch.ch/
- 8004 Zürich - Restaurant Arabesque, Werdstrasse 66, 8004 Zürich, 044 242 53 59, http://www.libanesisch.li/
- 8004 Zürich - V.P. Catering, Ankerstrasse 16, 8004 Zürich, 043 243 80 46, http://vp-catering.ch/
- 8001 Zürich - Heugümper, Waaggasse 4, 8001 Zürich, 044 211 16 60, http://www.restaurantheuguemper.ch/
- 8008 Zürich - Blinde Kuh, Mühlebachstrasse 148, 8008 Zürich, 044 421 50 50, http://blindekuh.ch/zuerich/eingang.html
- 8003 Zürich - Zentraleck, Zentralstrasse 161, 8003 Zürich, 044 461 08 00, http://www.zentraleck.ch/
- 8001 Zurich - Oepfelchammer, Rindermarkt 12, 8001 Zurich, 044 251 23 36, http://oepfelchammer.ch/
- 8001 Zürich - Restaurant Le Dézaley, Römergasse 7+9, 8001 Zürich, +41 44 251 6129, Website
- 8004 Zürich - Fribourger Fondue Stübli, Rotwandstrasse 38, 8004 Zurich, 044 241 90 76,
- 8001 Zürich - Raclette Stube, Zähringerstr. 16, 8001 Zurich, 044 251 41 30,
- 8001 Zürich - Adler's Swiss Chuchi, Rosengasse 10 8001 Zürich, Switzerland 044 266 96 66
- Innenstadt Zürich - Fondue Tram, departs Bellvue several times per evening in Fondue season All Aboard!
- 8008 Zürich - Tiffins, Seefeldstrasse 61, 8008 Zürich, http://www.tiffins.ch
- 8032 Zürich - Nooba, Kreuzplatz 5, 8032 Zürich, 043 243 60 06 http://nooba.ch/nooba/
- 8004 Zürich - Roi-Et , Schöneggstrasse 30, 8004 Zürich, 044 291 58 30
- 8001 Zürich - Blue Monkey , Stüssihofstatt 3, 8001 Zürich, 044 261 76 18, http://www.bluemonkey.ch
- 8001 Zürich - Ban Song Thai , Kirchgasse 6, 8001 Zürich, 044 252 33 31, http://www.bansongthai.ch
- 8004 Zürich - Sala Thai , Kanonengasse 31, 8004 Zürich, 01 241 11 80, http://www.sala-thai.com
- 8001 Zürich - Cafe Zahringer, Zahringerplatz 11, 8001 Zürich, 044 252 0500
- 8001 Zürich - Manta Bar, Bahnhofstrasse 42, 8001 Zürich, 043 344 85 00
- 8004 Zürich - Paninoteca Caffetteria, Ankerstrasse 38, 8004 Zürich, 043 317 1333
- 8037 Zürich - Restaurant Die Waid, Waidbadstrasse 45, 8037 Zürich, 043 422 08 08, http://www.diewaid.ch
This has always been a good option for a mixed group of vegetarians and meat-eaters. Le Cèdre is probably the most well known in Zürich. Booking is usually required on weekends unless you're really lucky. We’ve never been disappointed. Mezzeh has always been yummy. Belly dancers on some days. Unfortunately, this means that all discussions cease while extremely loud music is played while she goes from table to table. [ns] </p>
Another option (for Lebanese food) is Arabesque. The food is also good and the mezzeh is slightly different to Le Cèdre's. Also has belly dancers on some days. Same deal with the loud music. Would recommend booking on weekends. [ns] </p>
HGreek food for eat-in or take-away. If the weather is nice, they have outdoor seating, as well. Good prices for Zurich, and popular among my colleagues for a quick lunch. Closed Sundays, no dogs allowed. Closest to Bezirksgebauede on the 2 or 3 tram. [ac] </p>
Heugümper -- is pretty good. In die Altstadt. Worth a try. [ns] </p> <p>
Blinde Kuh serves pretty good food in a unique setting -- the restaurant is completely dark, and the servers are all blind or visually impaired. Really interesting experience. Be sure to make reservations, as it is fairly small and usually booked in advance. [ac] </p> <p>
Zentraleck has a short but very good menu that focuses on seasonal ingredients prepared in a modern, Western fusion style. They really pay attention to presentation and come up with interesting combinations of flavors and ingredients. Reservations recommended. [ac] </p> <p>
Really good modern Swiss fusion cuisine. Long-standing tradition involving climbing through the beams on the ceiling and drinking a glass of wine upside-down. [ac] </p>
Quality fondue at a reasonable price. Don't forget your Kirsch!
Some of the best fondue in Zurich, in a cozier and less smoky atmosphere than Dezaley or Adler's (and cheaper, too!) They serve both vacherin fondue and moitie-moitie fondue. The chocolate mousse makes an excellent dessert. Closest tram stop is Bezirksgebaeude on the 2 or the 3. They are sister restaurants with Raclette Stube in Niederdorf, if you want something more central, with the same menu. [ac]
Some of the best fondue in Zurich, in a cozier and less smoky atmosphere than Dezaley or Adler's (and cheaper, too!) They serve both vacherin fondue and moitie-moitie fondue. The chocolate mousse is an excellent dessert. Located in Niederdorf, they share the same menu as their sister restaurant, Fribourger Fondue Stübli. [ac]
Possibly overpriced, can't see out of the windows, good food, more if you ask, worth going at least once....
Great trendy Thai food. Very crowded after 7:30 pm on most days but very quick service. [ns]
This is no posh eatery! Good food, reasonable prices, wooden tables. </p>
Smoke-free pan-Asian restaurant that is open on Sundays and also does take-away. [ac] </p>
Really good Thai place. It’s not “trendy” but there are plenty of delicate flavours in the food. Very extensive menu for such a small place. Bus Stop: 31/32 Militairestrasse, off Langstrasse. [ns] </p>
Another good restaurant in Niederdorf. Trendy setup. Don’t go upstairs – it’s just same food for more price. Stay down, in the restaurant/café. [ns] </p>
The food is really good.
Good but booking essential. Also in the Niederdorf. [ns] </p>
After several disappointing Thai and Indian curries in Switzerland, this was a pleasant surprise. Beautiful food and quite reasonably priced. As we're used to curries in the UK, we asked for extra spicy, which was excellent, but not for the faint-hearted! Traditional Swiss decor is nice too. [erpm] </p>
Good food at reasonable prices for Switzerland. Veggie-friendly. Really good vegetarian soups that change every day. [ac] </p> <p>
Popular place to get sandwiches downtown during lunch. They ahve a wide selection of sandwiches that can then be heated up and taken to go. Can be a bit pricey, but the sandwiches are quite good.[ac] </p> <p>
Friendly staff make hot or cold sandwiches to order, near-ish Stauffacher. Very reasonably priced, for Zurich, and the sandwiches are huge. [ac] </p> <p>
Lovely setting in Wipkinger Berg (?), overlooking the city and the lake. We enjoyed the food, but would even recommend the place just for the view and the setting. We went on a somewhat hazy day and can't wait to go back on a clear one. [zc]
=== Return to the Expats-in-Zurich FAQ ===